HIT THE MARKET
Getting ready to sell? This is what you need to know:
Selling doesn’t need to be complicated; however, those sellers who put in little bit of extra elbow grease, investing some time, research and a little money to prepare their home for the marketplace, reap the rewards of a greater ROI (return of investment) at closing. Painting, staging, cleaning out closets and decluttering, landscaping and washing windows all can go a long way.
Think about what makes you react -- positively or negatively -- when you visit someone’s home, either a home you’ve seen during your own house hunt or when visiting a friend’s house. Use your experience and reaction to help make your home sale more successful. What did you see, feel or smell that affected your impression of the home? Take notes and find a way to mimic your positive impressions of others’ homes and see your own home as if you were the buyer.
Here are some more Schuman Team Tips for selling your home:
- Welcome the potential buyer with a brand new “welcome” mat.
- Greet your potential buyer with fresh flowers by adding a bright pot(s) of flowers to your front porch. In the winter, plant cabbages and/or evergreens.
Let the light shine in by:
- Trimming the bushes, especially the ones that block your windows and diminish sunlight.
- Removing screens from windows and doors.
Make the house look newer by:
- Adding a fresh coat of paint to the shutters and trim
- Replacing old, tarnished doorknobs
- Hanging new house numbers.
- Installing a new mailbox.
Make a clean-cut presentation by:
- Mowing your lawn
- Edging the grass around walks and trees
- Adding fresh mulch to planting beds
- Powering washing the deck, sidewalk and/or exterior siding of your home.
- Cleaning your gutters.
Light up the night by upgrading the outdoor lighting for a more dramatic effect (yes, buyers will drive by your home at night, too) and for a feeling of added safety.